Hunting in the U.S. if from another Country

Non-immigrant aliens who plan to hunt in the United States will need to comply with firearms regulations. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has an extensive set of "Frequently Asked Questions" with one section specifically for non-immigrant aliens.

 BATF FAQ for Non-immigrant Aliens

State fish and wildlife agencies regulate hunting, and the rules vary from one state to the next. You can find some basic information on hunter education requirements and links to agency web sites right here under State & Provincial Information.

Non-immigrant aliens who plan to hunt in the United States should also be aware that the Federal Government regulates migratory game birds and waterfowl in cooperation with states and foreign countries. Federal regulations are incorporated into the state hunting regulations.

Local governments sometimes enact regulations related to safety. Additionally, state or federal agencies may enact and enforce safety regulations on property they own or manage.

If you want to hunt in the United States, start planning as soon as possible.

International Hunter Education Association

800 East 73rd Avenue, Unit 2
Denver, CO 80229
phone: 303 430-7233 |  fax: 303 430-7236

This website was made possible by a grant from the National Shooting Sports Foundation.